Red cabbage. We were always friendly enough to each other when we saw one another at parties, but I wouldn't often make time to see red cabbage, especially not one on one. I think we both worried that, after that preliminary round of catching up on the other's latest soul searching, we wouldn't have anything to say. Then, one night, I cracked the code.
- Red Cabbage, maybe half of one? Even that might be a lot. Those things provide endless roughage.
- Grapefruit! Slice it up into pleasing bitesize morsels. You can use the whole thing unless it's threatening to completely take over.
- Carrot, sliced thin enough that it doesn't raise questions.
- Radish. What's up radish.
- Cilantro. Optional, especially if you're one of those people for whom cilantro ruins everything.
- Balsamic vinegar. Apple cider vinegar seems to be the vinegar of choice for red cabbage affairs, and I gots no problem with that, but I wanted something more jovial for this one. Red cabbage can be a little dour sometimes, y'know? Oh, and throw it on as soon as the cabbage is in the bowl, so that the vinegar has time to negotiate into its pores.
- Salt, tarragon, oregano, I threw on a little curry powder. Some olive oil too. Not exactly an oil and vinegar sort of dressing, but a dash of olive oil makes it tastier AND shinier.